What Can I Eat on the Keto Diet?
The emphasis of the keto diet is on fat, which comes predominantly from animal products. Here’s a list of all the keto foods you can eat on a daily basis on the ketogenic diet:
• Meat and poultry – whilst all meat is allowed on the keto diet, processed meats such as sausages and burgers aren’t very heart healthy and can contribute to high cholesterol and high blood pressure. So instead focus on chicken, turkey and lean cuts of beef.
• Fish and seafood – oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, sardines and herring are rich in healthy fats and contain zero carbs.
• Healthy fats – the keto diet for weight loss relies heavily on consuming fats, but choose healthy fats from olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, nuts and seeds rather than vegetable or sunflower oils.
• Dairy and eggs – cheese and yoghurt are also staples of the keto diet, but if you’re concerned about your heart health, choose cottage cheese and plain Greek yoghurt that are known to keep us fuller for longer. Full fat butter and cream are also allowed, but avoid low-fat versions that can contain added sugars. Eggs are another great option, since they contain zero carbohydrates, keep blood sugar levels stable and are rich in vitamins and minerals.
• Non-starchy vegetables – vitamin rich peppers, tomatoes, onions, spinach, green beans, cauliflower and broccoli