1. Avocado, Lime and Fresh Coriander on Toast
Smashed avocado has certainly had its fair share of fame as it became the food of the moment a few years ago and has remained a firm favourite. Do an Instagram search for #smashedavo and you’ll find over 155,000 enviable pictures of this delicious green fruit (yes, avocadoes are technically a fruit, not a vegetable!) being used in recipes.
Avocado is rich in vitamins and minerals that support a healthy body, as well as being a good source of omega 3 fatty acids – good fats that support the health of the heart. They’re fairly high in calories however, so if you’re calorie counting, limit them to one or two a week.
We’ve added a twist of lime for some zestiness and a sprinkling of fresh coriander for flavour. Bread-wise, opt for wholemeal bread over white bread as it’s more nutrient-rich and it’ll keep you fuller for longer, or choose sourdough for a low-gluten option.
• 1 small, ripe avocado
• Juice of ¼ lime
• Handful of fresh coriander, stalks removed, chopped
• Toast of your choice
• Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and place into a bowl
• Use the back of a fork to ‘smash’ the avocado to your preferred consistency
• Mix in the lime juice
• Top your toast with the avo and lime
• Sprinkle with fresh coriander
• Post to Instagram!