6. Drinking unpasteurised milk can make you ill
Did you know that raw milk carries a ton of harmful bacteria including E-coli?
Most of the milk we drink goes through the pasteurisation process, which uses heat to get rid of toxins and bacteria – but recently, there’s been a trend for drinking raw, unpasteurised milk.
Some people think that raw milk has many health benefits – it’s claimed to possess the ability to cure eczema, allergies and lactose intolerance. However, an in-depth study conducted by the FDA found that many of the claims made about raw milk are false – and that drinking it actually ups your chance of consuming many harmful pathogens.
Drinking raw milk can be dangerous for anyone, as by doing so, you can get salmonella, campylobacter, listeria and more. If you’re over 50, or have a weakened immune system, you’ll definitely want to avoid it, as you have a far greater risk of becoming seriously ill.
Milk provides essential calcium and protein, which keep our bodies and bones healthy and functioning – and unless you are lactose intolerant or vegan, it’s a healthy way to up your nutrient levels. If you’re going to get your daily dose of the white stuff though, go for milk that’s been pasteurised – as drinking milk is only safe, if it’s been properly heat treated.