What Shouldn’t I Eat on the Keto Diet?
Carbohydrates are severely restricted on the keto diet, so aim to reduce or even completely eliminate foods that contain carbs. Carbohydrate-heavy foods don’t just include bread and pasta as this list of foods to avoid on the keto diet shows:
• All grains, including bread, pasta, rice and cereal
• Sugary food and drink including sweets, biscuits, cakes and fizzy drinks
• All fruit and fruit juices (except berries in small amounts)
• Starchy vegetables such as potatoes and other root veg
• Sugary sauces such as ketchup and BBQ sauce
• All alcohol
If you’re following the keto diet, you need to also pay attention to your protein intake, as the body can turn protein into glucose in the absence of carbs and not enough fat, slowing down your progression into ketosis. Protein-rich foods to avoid include all beans, legumes, peas, chickpeas and lentils.
If you’re concerned that you’re not progressing towards ketosis, intermittent fasting – where you eat all your meals for the day in one eight-hour window, and fast for 16 hours (for example only eating between 9am and 5pm) can help significantly.